LIFESTYLE & ACTIVITIES
LOCAL EVENTS - Check out SeeMonterey.com for events and activities throughout the area!
- Download a PDF of the trail map >>
- The Monterey Bay Aquarium, with its fascinating collections of sea life, is one of the most visited attractions in California. It’s located on Cannery Row and a short distance from Old Fisherman’s Wharf, where there’s always something happening!
- Carmel-by-the-Sea is always a delightful place to spend some time. You’ll find shops, restaurants, performing arts, galleries—and a scenic white sand beach at the end of Ocean Avenue.
- The annual Monterey Jazz Festival, held just 6 miles from East Garrison, offers up three days of world-class music.
- Scuba diving is a popular year-round activity. Monterey Bay is considered California’s best cold-water diving, thanks to the presence of the Monterey Bay Submarine Canyon just off shore.
- The historic adobes around Custom House Plaza in Old Monterey provide a fascinating glimpse into the past. Grab a map and take a self-guided tour.
- Charming Pacific Grove hosts a Farmer’s Market every Monday afternoon. You’ll find similar markets in Salinas, Monterey, Del Monte and Carmel.
- California Rodeo in Salinas is a showcase of rodeo skills and western heritage.
- More than 125 art galleries and studios call Monterey County home. Watch for open studios and exhibits throughout the year.
- Monterey County has more than 20 spectacular golf courses located within 10 miles of East Garrison. Among these are Pebble Beach Golf Links, rated America’s #1 public golf course by Golf Digest, Spyglass Hill, Spanish Bay and Del Monte Oaks, the oldest continuously operating golf course west of the Mississippi.
- The area’s scenic wineries have more than 20 tasting rooms with tours and tastings throughout the year.
- Big Sur, the 90-mile stretch of coastland extending 30 miles to the south of Monterey, is a popular destination for hikers and campers. The area offers nine state parks and miles of unspoiled mountain and ocean vistas.
- For auto enthusiasts, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca hosts major car and motor events.
- The National Steinbeck Center, which celebrates the literary work and life of the famous author, is just a short drive from East Garrison in downtown Salinas.