GET MORE INFO

About East Garrison

HISTORY

The land that is the community of East Garrison was once the East Garrison of Fort Ord, an Army Base from the late 19th Century until 1994. We have a deep sense of stewardship to this legacy. This timeline provides a glimpse of East Garrison’s proud history.

1846

1846

July 2, 1846 — The Frigate Savannah, the flagship of Commodore John Drake Sloat, sailded into the Port of Monterey. Five days later, the stars and stripes were raised above the customs house with a 21-gun salute to proclaim the area as territory of th United Sttes. Since that day, the United States Army has played a prominent role in the development of the Monterey Bay Area.

1902

1902

The 15th Infantry Regiment and the 9th "Buffalo Soldiers" Cavalry were assigned to the fort after duty in the Philippines.

1917

1917

15,000 acres of land were purchased north of Monterey in the area known today as East Garrison. This land was originally referred to as the Gigling Reservation and was used as a maneuver and training ground for cavalry troops.

1930s

1930s

Mess halls were the first permanent structures established on Fort Ord.

1933

1933

The artillery field at Camp Gigling became Camp Ord, named in honor of Maj. Gen. Edward Ord, a Union Army leader during the American Civil War.

1940

1940

January 4, 1940 - The first joint Army and Navy maneuvers were held at the fort. A Total of 10,000 troops and 1,000 vehicles, boats and horses took place in the maneuvers or training operations.

1940

1940

The 23-year-old Camp Ord was expanded, army barracks were constructed and the 7th Infantry Division was reactivated, becoming the first major unit to occupy the permanent Army post.

1940-1975

1940-1975

An estimated 1.5 million soldiers were trained at Fort Ord.

1941

1941

Camp Ord became Ford Ord. For the next 30 years, the fort was the primary facility for basic training for the Army.

1943

1943

The 738th Field Artillery Battalion was activated and assigned to Gen. George S. Patton's 3rd Army.

1951

1951

'The Lady Says No' with David Niven was filmed at Fort Ord.

1956

1956

'The Girl He Left Behind' with Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood was filmed at Fort Ord.

1964

1964

Drill Sergeant School was opened.

1976

1976

The training area was deactivated and Fort Ord again became the home of the 7th Infantry Division, following their return from South Korea after twenty-five years on the demilitarized zone.

1990

1990

7th Infantry Division joined the troops in the Middle East to defeat Iraq during Desert Storm.

1992

1992

One of the last deployments was to the Los Angeles riots.

1994

1994

September 1994 - Fort Ord was officially closed. The fort was the largest U.S. military base to be closed at the time. Most of the land was returned to the state of California and became the home of the California State University, Monterey Bay. The remainder was given th UC Santa Cruz to be developed into the UC MBEST (Monterey Bay Education, Science and Technology) Center.

2007

2007

Part of the Fort Ord land was used for development, including The Dunes shopping mall along Highway 1. A large portion of the land on the east side was also set aside as a preservation for open space, including hiking trails.

2009

2009

Fort Ord Dunes State Park, a coastal strip overlooking Monterey Bay, became California's newest State Park, just minutes from East Garrison.

2012

2012

April 20, 2012 - President Obama signed a presidential proclamation establishing Fort Ord National Monument.

2013

2013

"UCP has a deep emotional tie and sense of stewardship to this community and its service to America over the last 100 years. It is our desire that the history of this base remains in the forefront of our hearts and minds as a testament to those who have sacrificed so much for us." - UCP, LLC